POSITION TITLE: City Manager for City of Manistique, Michigan
Full-time, Exempt from overtime
Reports To: Mayor and City Council
JOB SUMMARY: The City Manager shall be the chief administrative officer of the City. The new City Manager will be inspirational and goal-oriented with a record of approachability, problem solving and decisiveness. The Manager must also be adept with technology and an aggressive grant seeker. Personal and professional integrity is essential along with trustworthiness and ability to inspire others. The new City manager will have a sincere willingness to adhere to the city’s core values and continue to provide support to the city staff and elected officials. High level communication skills include interpersonal and human-relation skills with the willingness to allow staff to manage their respective departments.
City Manager Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, public administration, or any other related field.
- A Master’s Degree (MPA /MBA) or working towards one is preferred, or
- Three to five years of experience in local government preferred
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience
- Proven ethical and leadership skills
- Familiarity with Open Meetings Act and Freedom of Information Act
- Experience in community development
- Able to manage a diverse team of subordinates and department heads
- Strong oral and written communication skills
The City Manager is the Chief Administrative Officer for the City and will provide executive leadership and representation of Manistique city government. The duties and responsibilities of the City Manager are determined by the Mayor and City Council in compliance with City
Charter, State and Federal statutes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establish and maintains cooperative working relationships with the Mayor and City Council. government officials, community groups, media representatives and the public.
- Develop agendas for all City Council meetings, including special meetings and attends all City Council meetings.
- Updates the Mayor and City Council, regarding all city matters, on a weekly or other agreed upon basis.
- Works closely with all city department heads, including the city attorney to properly develop, manage and administrate budgets, finance & legal matters, public safety concerns and city public works and operations.
- Manages according to City Charter, ordinances, and adopted resolutions.
- Responds to resident complaints, inquiries, emails, and other communications in a timely manner.
- Maintains professional development of self and city staff
- Stays abreast of social, political, economic, and municipal trends.
- Represents city in an ethical and responsible manner.
This Job description statement is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee assigned to this job title. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
Please direct all application to:
City of Manistique – Mayor
To apply please send cover letter and resume with 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org or hard copy to Mayor, City of Manistique, 300 N. Maple Stree, Mansitique, MI 49854